UK Spouse Visa Requirements and Documents
Apply as a partner or spouse UK Visa
To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.
Your partner must also either:
· be a British citizen
· have settled in the UK (they have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or proof of permanent residence)
· have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.
What you’ll need to prove
You must be able to prove one of the following:
· you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
· you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
· you are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving
You also need to prove you:
· have a good knowledge of English
If you do not meet these requirements you may still be able to apply for a visa or extend your permission to stay if:
· you have a child in the UK who is a British citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years and it would be unreasonable for them to leave the UK
· there would be very significant difficulties for you and your partner if you lived together as a couple outside the UK that could not be overcome
· it would breach your human rights to stop you coming to the UK or make you leave
If you’re applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
You must prove that:
· any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
· you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK
You will not be able to work during your engagement.